Friday 15 December 2017

My favourite TV shows of 2017



Hello, beautiful people!

As the end of the year is coming to a close, it is time for many of us to write a lot of blog posts about all of our favourite things of the year. I am personally planning on making a list of my favourite books, TV shows and movies of 2017. Why am I starting with TV shows two weeks before the end of the year? you will ask. Well, I've already watched a lot of TV shows this year and while I'll probably catch up on some shows for the two remaining weeks of the year (read: Brooklyn 99 and Doctor Who), I really need to focus on watching all the movies I still haven't watched. Which is why you're getting this one quite early!



10. Harlots (2017)


This period drama is set in 1763 London, where one in five women makes a living by selling sex. This show follows Margaret Wells, a brothel owner, as well as her two daughters, Charlotte and Lucy, all of them trying to get better lives for themselves. Margaret Wells decides to move her brothel in a new street to thrive, which makes her in conflict with Lydia Quigley, the owner of a high class brothel.  

Now, from this summary, you might be unsure about this show. I know I was. Yes, there are sex scenes, but it is to be expected. However, it is an amazing and very addictive period drama that slays everything, even one of my favourite authors says so:
The first season aired this year and the second one will come out next year, I cannot wait.


9. Friends (1994-2004)

It might be shocking to most people that I started watching Friends in December 2016, but well... I did. It's the whole reason I got a Netflix subscription in the first place, because I really wanted to know what the hype was all about and to understand all of the references. To say the least, I wasn't disappointed. I watched it in ten months, because I needed it to last. It was the show I turned to when I needed to feel better or to laugh, and it never failed me. Friends truly deserve all the hype, the entire world was right about it. My favourite character was Chandler for sure, but I have a little bit of each character's personality within me, like everyone. I already know that when I feel down, I will rewatch it, because it truly helped me to go through 2017.



8. The Crown (2016)

The second season of The Crown was released last week on Netflix and yes, I already binge-watched it. The Crown already was one my favourite TV shows of last year and this second season did not disappoint. I loved that we got to focus a bit more on Elizabeth's family, with entire arcs on Margaret, Philip, the duke of Windsor or even Charles. Once again, it was very informative, while never being boring. The cinematography was stunning and once again, the actors did an amazing job. I really hope it'll get six seasons like they planned, and while I'm a bit sad to say goodbye to Claire Foy and Matt Smith as Elizabeth and Philip – they have planned to replace the actors every two seasons, so they actually have the same age that the characters they portray – I cannot wait to see how season 3 will be.   


7. Poldark (2015)


Poldark is based on Winston Graham's novels and follows the story of Ross Poldark, a man who returns from the American War of Independence to Cornwall to discover that his father is dead, his estate in ruins and the woman he loves is engaged to his cousin. He decides to take control over his own mines again while helping the people of the village. I absolutely love Poldark because it is set in the 18th century in Cornwall, which means the scenery is absolutely gorgeous and I listen to the soundtrack all the time. I have to confess that while I loved the first season, I disliked the second one so much (Ross was the worst and it felt repetitive), to the point that I didn't want to continue. I decided to watch the third season for Dwight Enys because I adore him* and it was so worth it. The third season had new characters such as Morwenna and Drake and it was absolutely amazing once again. I spent most of it suffering (because some awul things happened, but it was so good) and binge-watched it in three days, as I couldn't stop. So yes, it's back on my favourite shows list, and I have great expectations for season 4.

*What do you mean, it might be because I think that he looks like Matthew Crawley? I have no idea wha you're talking about.




6. Victoria (2016)


When I watched the first season of Victoria last year, I completely fell in love with it and it became my favourite show of the year. I was a bit scared the second season wouldn't live up to it, but it still was amazing! This show follows the reign of Queen Victoria, as well as some secondary storylines about people close to her and the servants of the palace (did they try to make it a little like Downton Abbey? I guess so). I'll always have a weakness for Prince Albert (especially portrayed by Tom Hugues), because he truly was amazing and it is shown in every episode. Everything was absolutely stunning, we even got an episode set in Scotland! I'm still waiting on the Christmas special episode that will be released in a few days, but I already know it'll be amazing. 


5. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (2015)


Another show that completely took me by surprise. It follows Rebecca Bunch, a top-notch lawyer living in New York city, who panics when she's offered a partnership. When she bumps into Josh Chan, her first love from summer camp, she decides to move to West Covina, California where he lives, in search for happiness and to become his girlfriend. This show is a comedy-drama series with amazing musical numbers and the more episodes I watch, the more I love it. Rachel Bloom, who created it and plays Rebecca, is an absolute genius and I have nothing but respect for her. This show is hilarious, sad, serious and unexpected. It is hands-down the best TV show on the CW right now, in my opinion.  



4. Stranger Things (2016)

I'm pretty sure that Stranger Things needs no introduction, considering that every time a season is released, it's all over the Internet – and with reason. The first season is set in Hawkins, Indiana, in 1983, where Will Byers, a 12 y.o. boy mysteriously disappears. His family and friends never give up on trying to find him, which might lead to strange discoveries... And it only gets strangers (#original). I absolutely love the retro vibes from this show and I think that the cast and their characters are fantastic! I binge-watched both seasons, because it's quite an addictive and quality show, which made it into my favourite shows very quickly. It's just perfect. 


3. One Day at a Time (2017)


One Day at a Time is a Netflix sitcom loosely based on the 1975-1984 show of the same name. It only has one season so far, but a second one is coming and it couldn't make me happier. Sadly, this show is very underrated but it is everything. It follows the Alvarez family, Penelope, a single mom who used to be in the army, her two children Elena and Alex, and her mother Lydia, a faithful Cuban. It's absolutely hilarious as well as clever, feminist and diverse. It only has thirteen episodes and they last about thirty minutes, so you'll probably end up binge-watching the whole thing. Please, watch it.




2. Gilmore Girls (2000-2007)


Another show I only watched in 2017... I know, I'm late to the party. * hides in a corner * My best friend made me watch the first few episodes at the end of September, but I accidentally got way too addicted and binge-watched the whole thing (revival included) in a little less than three months. I've loved a lot of shows, but Gilmore Girls now has a special place in my heart. Before watching it and meeting Rory Gilmore, I had never related to a show that muchThere were so many similarities between my life and Rory's that it sometimes hurt me... But also did me some good, I guess. If I hadn't watched the show that's number one in this list, Gilmore Girls would have been my favourite show of the year. It certainly is in my top 3 favourite shows of all times anyway. Also, can someone tell me we'll someday get a second season to the revival? PLEASE.




1. Legion (2017)


Last but not least, my favourite show of 2017 is Legion. *shocked gasps from the audience* I already talked about it way too many times and even wrote an entire blog post about it, so you might want to read it if you haven't yet. It's better not to know much going into Legion, but it's somehow a spin-off of X-Men. If you don't understand what's happening most of the time, it's normal. To sum it up, this show is brilliant, has amazing actors, gorgeous cinematography, you will never know what to expect, and Dan Stevens is portraying the main character (you know how much I love Dan Stevens). Oh and it is seriously underrated, so... GO WATCH IT, OKAY? I'll leave you with Leigh Bardugo's tweet:


So there you have it: my top 10 favourite shows of 2017! Do let me know if you've watched any of them, or what your favourite shows of the year were.

Lots of love,
Lucie 

No comments:

Post a Comment