Tuesday 26 December 2017

My most anticipated releases of 2018 (part 1) // Grabby Hands #9


Hello, beautiful people!

Once upon a time, when I hadn't lived the worst blogging slump of ever, I had this feature on my blog called Grabby Hands, where I talked to you about all the exciting releases I couldn't wait to get my hands on for the next month. Now that I've been back for a while, I realised how much I missed writing those posts, which means that Grabby Hands is back! I'll only do one every three months or so, this way I'll talk about the books I'm the most excited about and that I'll actually read at some point. When I saw that today's topic for Top Ten Tuesday (which was created by The Broke and The Bookish) was Top Ten Books I'm Looking Forward To in 2018, I decided to use that prompt to talk about the ten books I'm most excited about for the first three months of 2018.

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1) by Holly Black - January 2nd 2018

Genres: young adult, fantasy


As it's Holly Black, you won't be surprised that this book is about... *drum rolls* faeries. I've been anticipating this one since 2016, when it was first announced, so you can imagine how excited I am, considering it comes out in a week. Holly Black's faeries quite intrigue me, because they're apparently wicked, violent, and that's what I want from a good faerie book... DARKNESS (and nothing else, if you know what I mean --> the shade). I had the chance to attend Cassandra Clare and Holly Black's event in London back in August, so hearing them talk about The Cruel Prince made me even more excited and Holly was such a nice person. She was so happy when I made her sign my copy of The Spiderwick Chronicles and I was emotional, because I was so young when I read them. Anyhow, I'm going to scream that I'm excited way too many times in this post, be prepared.



The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar - January 25th 2018
Genres: historical, fantasy


This book has been screaming my name for months, and I'm not even kidding. I once saw someone unbox an ARC of it on Instagram and instantaneously became jealous, considering how pretty the cover is. Then I read the summary and my envy got worse (haha). The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock is a historical fiction novel set in 1785 near the sea and this is the story of Mr Hancock who found a mermaid. Can you hear me screaming? I'm obsessed with the 18th century AND the sea. This book will take place near the docks, this is everything I want out of a book. It might be my most anticipated read at the moment.

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert - January 30th 2018

Genres: young adult, fantasy

Once again, the cover of this book is absolutely stunning. The Hazel Wood is the story of a young girl whose grandmother, the author of a 'cult-classic book of pitch-dark fairy tales' passed away. When her mother is apparently stolen away to the Hinterland, the dark world where her grandmother's stories took place, she has no choice but to venture in the dangerous Hazel Wood, then in the Hinterland, to understand what happened and save her mother. It sounds absolutely amazing, a bit dark (I'm really into that right now) and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Immortal Reign (Falling Kingdoms #6) by Morgan Rhodes - February 6th 2018
Genres: young adult, fantasy


This book was first supposed to come out in December (like every year), and then it got pushed back to February. *weeps* I understand though, because it is the last book in the Falling Kingdoms trilogy and it has to be perfect, but I still think about the ending of Crystal Storm once a week - or more - because I so need to know what happens next and whether or not my favourite characters will be okay (I'm sincerely scared). Anyway, Falling Kingdoms is a fantasy series that I absolutely love - I really fell head over heels for it in Frozen Tides, but I enjoyed it before! - and I'm so looking forward to knowing how it will end. I'm not ready to say goodbye to my favourite characters after several years together, but I want to know how their stories will wrap up (please Morgan Rhodes, don't kill everyone).




Shadowsong (Wintersong #2) by S. Jae-Jones - February 6th 2018
Genres: young adult, historical, fantasy


I read Wintersong earlier this year and absolutely loved it. It is the story of Liesl, who has a talent for music, but always had to stay in the shadows of his brother, a musical prodigy. When her sister is taken away by the Goblin King, she has to go Underground to try to save her. *dum dum dum* It was set in 18th century Austria, the Mozart family was mentioned several times and Liesl is such a Nannerl, which is why I couldn't help but fall in love with it. I can't say much about Shadowsong, considering it's a sequel, but I really want to know what will happen to Liesl next.

The Wicked Cometh by Laura Carlin - February 8th 2018
Genres: historical


The Wicked Cometh is a historical novel set in 1831, at a time where London was a dark and unsafe place, where many people disappear from the street. Our main character is determined to get out of the slums and is thrown into the aristocratic world, where she's under the tutelage of a mysterious woman. Soon, whispers about her past start to poison her new life, and the two women get involved in a sinister investigation. I have to say that this book isn't set in the Victorian era, for once, are you proud? Okay, the Victorian era starts in 1837, but I'm trying here. Anyhow, The Wicked Cometh intrigues me so much and I cannot wait to dive into it and to figure everything out.

Sightwitch (The Witchlands #0.5) by Susan Dennard - February 13th 2018

Genres: young adult, fantasy


Sightwitch is a prequel novella to the Witchlands series by Susan Dennard - the first two books are Truthwitch and Windwitch - and it follows the last Sightwitch sister, who is trying to rescue her best friend by going underground. It is told in an original way, through journal entries, sketches, history sketchbooks and so on, I am so intrigued. It's no secret that Susan Dennard is one of my favourite YA authors and she had written a novella for her debut series, which was absolutely excellent (by the way: read the Something Strange and Deadly trilogy). Because of all of this, I cannot wait to read Sightwitch, it'll make the wait until the release Bloodwitch a little more bearable.



Bygone Badass Broads: 52 Forgotten Women Who Changed the World by Mackenzi Lee - March 6th 2018
Genres: non-fiction, history


Mackenzi Lee is another of my favourite YA authors and I will read anything this woman writes. Some time ago (I'd say last year, but I'm not sure?), she developed a feature on Twitter where she wrote a thread about an amazing and badass woman every Friday. It made me learn about so many amazing historical figures that are now forgotten. This book is the result of this feature and will tell the stories of these amazing women wrongly forgotten. I already know it will be empowering and full of potential new role models for me. I cannot wait to read their stories.

The Radical Element (A Tyranny of Petticoats #2) edited by Jessica Spotswood and written by awesome authors - March 13th 2018

Genres: young adult, historical, fantasy


Last year came out my favourite YA anthology, A Tyranny of Petticoats, which focused on historical fiction and fantasy, featuring a diverse array of heroines. When it was announced that a second anthology, in the same vibe, would be made, I was over the moon. The Radical Element features stories "of the girls of all colors and creeds standing up for themselves and their beliefs" by amazing authors, among whom Mackenzi Lee (yes, again), Erin Bowman, and I loved their historical fiction novels. It also involves many authors I want to read something by (like Anne-Marie McLemore), so I'm quite excited!

The Price Guide to the Occult by Leslye Walton - March 13th 2018
Genres: young adult, fantasy


Once upon a time, in 2014, a masterpiece called The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender came out, and after that... Leslye Walton only wrote a novella in A Tyranny of Petticoats. I was so scared we'd never get another book by her ever again, but the time has finally come. The Price Guide to the Occult tells the story of Nor Blackburn, an unexceptional witch whose family has been cursed many centuries ago. All she wants is an ordinary life, until she comes across a mysterious book which promises to cast any spells for the right price. Nor then knows that a storm is coming straight for her, on the island where she lives. I cannot wait to get drown in Leslye Walton's words again and to discover her through another story.

If you hadn't noticed, the key words in this post were darkness, historical fiction and fantasy. I'm excited for other books coming out this winter, but these ones win the cake and just by writing this post, I want to go and pre-order them all... If only money grew on trees. I'll post a new Grabby Hands post at the end of February to talk to you about the books I'm most excited about for March, April and May, but until then...


What are your most anticipated releases of January, February and March 2018? Anything I missed? Are you excited to read any of the books I mentioned?



Lots of love,
Lucie

4 comments:

  1. I've discovered quite a new books reading your list. I really need to read The Price Guide to the Occult. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I hope you'll end up enjoying the books I mentioned! :)

      Delete
  2. THE MERMAID AND MRS. HANCOCK sounds so good! I've seen THE HAZEL WOOD on tons of lists today. It's not one that was really on my radar, but maybe it should be :)

    Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so does, January 25th needs to come faster! I've seen it everywhere as well, I hope it deserves all the hype it's getting! :)

      Delete