Saturday 18 July 2015

Review : I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

Title: I'll Give You the Sun

Author: Jandy Nelson

Publisher: Dial Books

Release Date: September 16th 2014

Goodreads Summary: A brilliant, luminous story of first love, family, loss, and betrayal for fans of John Green, David Levithan, and Rainbow Rowell 

Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

This radiant novel from the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once

REVIEW

"Hmm. Well, unfortunately, it's been said very recently I stay away from you or I get castrated." He sits up and spins his hands in the air like Guillermo. "Castration, Oscore! Understand? You have seen me use the circular saw, yes?"

I know I'm minority here, but I didn't love this book, mostly because of the writing. It was a little too metaphorical for my tastes, and the chapters were way too long. At first, I liked the chapter, and then I was wondering when it would end-not a really good way to read.

I still enjoyed the characters, so different but so true, I couldn't relate to them, though. It was interesting to have Jude's POV when she was 16 and Noah's when he was 13 then 14, it  made me hate one character, but then with the next chapter I couldn't anymore. It conflicted me over everyone, but when I saw the end, I knew I still had to dislike Jude and the Mom, because I didn't like their choices, even if the boycott was a good idea. I liked the twins dynamic, and how they divided the world, which is the title of the novel, I'll give you the sun, something one of them says.

I liked the art aspect of this book, I kept picturing Noah's art, it was really fun! The story was enjoyable, it was a coming of age story, with every discovering and mistakes. I particularly loved when Brian and Noah were figuring everything out in his room.

Sadly, I don't have much to say on this book because you'll love it if you love the writing style. Unfortunately, I didn't, but it was still a good story. Moreover, I liked that we could only understand everything because of two different points of view and timelines, it was a nice way to wrap up this story.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment