Sunday 13 September 2015

Stolen Songbird | Book Review

Title: Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy #1)

Author: Danielle L. Jensen

Published: April 1st 2014 by Strange Chemistry

Goodreads summary: For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the mountain. When Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she realises that the trolls are relying on her to break the curse.

Cécile has only one thing on her mind: escape. But the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time…

But the more time she spends with the trolls, the more she understands their plight. There is a rebellion brewing. And she just might be the one the trolls were looking for...

REVIEW

This book caught me off guard, I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. I first heard of this book last year, when there was a giveaway on Goodreads, but that's all. I picked it up randomly, because I loooove high fantasy, and I was curious about trolls. I didn't like the trolls in Frostfire a few months ago, but I wanted to give these creatures the benefice of the doubt, and I was right.

This book is set in a French inspired world, a city is called Trianon (like Marie-Antoinette's little castles in the château de Versailles), the main character is named Cécile de Troyes, and so on. For once, it wasn't painful to read a book set in something that looked like France, and I'm so happy about it. I also liked the trolls' world, who looked so much like Cécile's and the fact that Trollus was located under a mountain made me uncomfortable (hi, claustrophobia!), which made me want for Cécile to escape (just like she wanted). However, I found the name of the city to be simplistic, I'm sure the author could have find something better for a city of trolls, but that's details.

I could believe in this trolls, that are deadly because they are beautiful, but at the same time deformed, which made them looked like monsters. They are cruel, like show their history, and feels utterly superior toward humans and half bloods. Of course, they also have magic. I liked that Jensen explained how trolls came to the now called trolls, they didn't appear out of nowhere. 

As a main character, Cécile was fantastic. Of course, she seems to be a little helpless at the beginning, but she accepts her fate, even if at the same time, she fights for her freedom. She went through a lot of character development during this book, it was so well done. She doesn't hesitate to fight for what she believes in, she even cares for Trollus' habitants, when she has been kidnapped on orders of the king. It's also a good idea to name the different books in this series because of Cécile: in the first, she is the stolen songbird, in the second, she is a hidden huntress. Yes. Also, Cécile isn't a human amongst others, she proves herself resourceful and I can't wait for her to work on her gifts (I don't want to spoil but welllll).


Of course, there is also Tristan, her husband. He is totally despicable at first, but he has reasons for being so. He isn't the kind of heir that want to walk in his royal daddy's footsteps, it made him such an interesting character. I liked that the romance between Cécile and him didn't feel forced, they went from hostile strangers to friends to lovers. I totally ship them together and I'm pretty sure there won't be any love triangle, so well done, Danielle L. Jensen. 

The story was fast-paced, there is action in the first chapter and that made me want to read MORE. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to read at the moment, but I caught up and I'm glad I did. The plot was executed well, it's about a curse to break, but also a rebellion and Cécile trying to be part of the court. 

The secondary characters weren't inconsistent, they were there quite often and had their backstory, like Marc. Anaïs really came at a surprise, I thought she would be the evil troll who would try to steal Tristan from Cécile, but she was a little more complicated than that. 

Overall, I loved this book and I can't wait to pick up the sequel. It's an amazing debut and I congratulate Danielle Jensen. I had a really good time with these characters and everything was believable: for example, the rest of the world doesn't know about trolls because of oaths made by the humans going in Trollus, they can't speak about it; humans just know about trolls because of legends. I highly suggest you to read it.


Have you read this book? Are you interested? Do you know other books about trolls?

No comments:

Post a Comment