Tuesday 1 September 2015

Ten Characters You Just Didn't Click With | Top Ten Tuesday


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's subject is about Ten characters we didn't click with. For some of them, it was just that they frustrated me, for others they were inconsistent and I even have a hard time remembering.

1. AMERICA SINGER (THE SELECTION SERIES)

I think that's a pretty classical answer in YA, because this character is so frustrating, not being able to make decisions like: what guy will I choose for the rest of my life? It took three books, okay, that's possible with some love triangles, but here, it was literally the plot of these books. She was a character that she didn't know what she wanted: by no means she wanted to live that kind of palace life, she wanted to stay a five, but at the same time, I could feel her enjoying her position in the books. Still, there is also her daughter, Eadlyn *sigh*. For her, I still hope redemption is possible, because we just got one book with her. BTW, it's a totally different America we met in The Heir, I think I liked her a little more thanks to that, but I remember the girl from the old days. You can't fool me, Kiera Cass. 

2. LAYLA (THE DARK ELEMENTS TRILOGY)

This girl is a total Mary-Sue, the perfect mix between gargoyles (basically Nephilims) and demons => Roth exactly described her this way. She was supposed to be perfect, which is boring. Just like America, she was just wondering which boy she would choose to be her boyfriend. For a character, that is pretty shallow...

3. ELISA (THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS)

I never finished this book, it's mainly because of her. She's a princess and has to go in a foreign land. She discovers that her wedding situation isn't exactly regular but she doesn't do anything about it. For me, she was a weak character that couldn't stand for herself and I didn't see myself reading about her for three books. I gave up on this book when I think it was starting to be interesting, because I couldn't connect with her. I felt pity, but that was pretty much it. I think I remember she was just complaining and praying, but I'm not sure. Now, don't get me wrong, I imagine she has a lot of character development in the next books, but I didn't want to be there to see it. 

4. ARIN (THE WINNER'S TRILOGY)

I think I ranted a little about him in my reviews... It's not my fault it's just that I don't like the way that he acts in the books. It's not about how he is with Kestrel, because I like them together and they have a lot of chemistry. However, he is such an impulsive character that it really irritates me... I hope he will evolve enough in The Winner's Kiss, because I have a hard time with him every time...

 5. JUDE (I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN)

Again, that's the type of characters I have a problem with because of her actions. I can't forgive her for what she did to her brother, because it almost felt like she stole his life. Of course, bad things happened to her and she had no one to turn to at that time, but is it a reason?

6. TWYLLA (THE SIN EATER'S DAUGHTER)

Same situation than with Elisa. She was just constantly complaining that she had that destiny but hadn't choose it, and praying. I don't like it when main characters are that boring in the beginning. I didn't finish this book either because of that.

7. ALEX (COVENANT)

Another character of JLA *sigh*. It's just that this character was basically Rose Hathaway. How unoriginal was that???

8. LARA JEAN (TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE)

Such a childish character! I didn't like her voice, she was supposed to be a 16 years old girl or something but I felt like she was twelve. Another one that was selfish and complained like a lot. Okay girl, you like you sister's boyfriend, but other people have problems, you know?

9. WILL GRAYSON (WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON) 

It has been said before, but often, John Green's main characters are just him as a teenager, and I don't like that kind of character. At all. They always seems to me a little inconsistent, I couldn't care about his Will Grayson in this book. 

10. NATHAN (HALF BAD)

I don't know, it's just the kind of situation when you want to say "it's not you, it's me". I couldn't get myself to care about him. I liked the story of this book, but couldn't connect with Nathan, especially when the author used "you" for her story instead of "I" or "he". 

What about you? Are there characters you didn't click with?
Let me know in the comments ;)

2 comments:

  1. I have not read any of these lol but I will keep my eye on these characters if I ever do pick up these books! :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. America from The Selection tops my list of most annoying heroine ever (though she may be behind Bella Swan now that I think about it!). It was painful to read those books and I'm hoping Eadlyn redeems herself in the next book.

    Layla is such a dud of a character in my eyes. I just finished Every Last Breath and thought it was on the duller side of things :(

    I also didn't like Elisa at the start either but she has some great character development later on in the book. Though I've never picked up the sequels.

    ReplyDelete