Sunday 28 June 2015

Review : Rogue by Julie Kagawa

Title: Rogue

Author: Julie Kagawa

Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Release Date: April 28th 2015

Goodreads Summary: Ember Hill left the dragon organization Talon to take her chances with rebel dragon Cobalt and his crew of rogues. But Ember can't forget the sacrifice made for her by the human boy who could have killed her—Garret Xavier Sebastian, a soldier of the dragonslaying Order of St. George, the boy who saved her from a Talon assassin, knowing that by doing so, he'd signed his own death warrant. 

Determined to save Garret from execution, Ember must convince Cobalt to help her break into the Order's headquarters. With assassins after them and Ember's own brother helping Talon with the hunt, the rogues find an unexpected ally in Garret and a new perspective on the underground battle between Talon and St. George. 

A reckoning is brewing and the secrets hidden by both sides are shocking and deadly. Soon Ember must decide: Should she retreat to fight another day…or start an all-out war?

REVIEW


This month has been my Julie Kagawa's month, I read the Blood of Eden trilogy (about vampires, really good) and the two first books of the Talon quintet. The third book, Soldier, is scheduled to be out during Fall 2016. Personnally, I can't wait to read this book because I loved the first two ! I also need to read the Iron Fey series, but that's another story. 

I loved this book, it was a great second installment in this Talon quintet. At the end of the first book, Ember went with Riley/Cobalt for a rogue life, Garret was taken by the Order to be judged and Dante remained with Talon. At the beginning of the book, Ember discovers what the life of a rogue really is and convinces Cobalt to come with her to rescue Garret (who is to be executed), I'm glad it didn't take too long for the rescue part. For Dante, he has to convince Talon he is trustworthy and organizes a mission to take Ember back. If I had to summarize the plot, I would say it is an on-the-run kind of book, with a fast pace, so I was never bored. I loved the betrayals (even if I had guessed). <spoiler>I think my favorite part of the book was when Faith made Ember shoot Garret, she aimed at his head, dropped the weapon and Shifted. It was such an intense moment, I loved it.</spoiler>

The characters are all supposed to be kick-assed and have a lot of development, for example Cobalt's flashbacks of twelve years ago. Ember, who chose a rogue life, admits she isn't sure about what she's doing and I liked that : she shows her weaknesses. 

<blockquote>"I don't know what I'm doing," I admitted. "I thought I did, but I was wrong. I have no idea what to do now. I…" <i>I don't want to lose anyone else. Especially him.</i></blockquote>


The end is the promise of a fantastic third book : Garret arc in London, Dante and Talon (OMG the epilogue, I want the next one like now) and Ember and Riley going after traitors/rogue hatchlings. I'm really excited, even if the next book will be out in such a long time ! If I had to pick a team, it would be Garret, because seriously, star-crossed lovers.

Rating : 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment