Thursday 31 August 2017

Reading wrap-up + Favourites // August 2017


Hello, beautiful people!


The month of August has come to a close, which is so sad for me, because this month was full of holidays, the first long ones I've had in two years. I'm so not ready for real life to start again and to my anxiety to come back full force, but I guess every good thing must come to a close at some point. Enough with the sad thoughts, because August was such an amazing month for me and I'm so excited to talk about it.


WHAT I READ
  • Empire of Dust by Eleanor Herman 
  • Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy ☆ (reread)
  • The Lily of the Valley by Honoré de Balzac 
  • Summer in February by Jonathan Smith 
  • Crystal Storm by Morgan Rhodes 
  • Emma by Jane Austen 
  • Travelling to Infinity by Jane Wilde ☆.5
  • Katherine of Aragon, the True Queen by Alison Weir 
  • The Changeling's Journey by Christine Spoors ☆.75
  • L'Oubliée de Salperwick by Annie Degroote (French book) 
  • Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier ☆☆☆☆.5
  • The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson ☆☆☆
  • The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë ☆☆☆☆☆
  • Our Dark Duet by V.E. Schwab ☆☆☆☆
  • The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry ☆☆☆
August was an amazing reading month and I had decided to crush my TBR pile before going to London, which I did because I managed to read eleven books in two weeks. Yup. It was a month filled with classics, and I enjoyed every single one of those! Most of my favourite books of the month were classics, with my reread of Far from the Madding Crowd (my favourite book), Emma and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. The only exception to this apparent rule was Crystal Storm, the fifth instalment in the Falling Kingdoms series, which I love so much.




FAVOURITES


TV SHOW // Downton Abbey (rewatch)

If you didn't know, Downton Abbey is my favourite TV show and I really missed it. Somehow, I managed to rewatch the first three seasons in a week and a half (and even watched season 1 twice, oops) and it was so much fun to rewatch it with my best friend (sometimes I was just staring at Matthew and didn't follow anything though). I loved it even more than the first time around, because it's perfect for me. It's filled with history, England, amazing plotlines, characters and relationships, and most importantly... Dan Stevens. Matthew Crawley is so perfect, I'll cry forever.


TV SHOW // Poldark

Season 3 finished airing in the UK in August and after seeing people raving about it, I watched it in three days. I wasn't a huge fan of season 2, but the third one was everything I wanted and more. I was so obsessed with it that I couldn't think about anything else. This show truly is amazing and it makes me want to visit Cornwall someday (read: ASAP). Besides, I would protect Dwight Enys (has anyone else noticed that he looked a lot like Matthew Crawley?) and Morwenna Chynoweth at all costs.


DAN STEVENS

So. If you follow me on social media... You already know that I'm completely obsessed with Dan Stevens (and that's an understatement). Well, I've been quite infatuated since Downton Abbey all those years ago, but it came back full force this year (because of Legion and Beauty and the Beast) and in August? It got crazy. This month, I watched Summer in February (okay book, great movie), Criminal Activities (Dan's character saved the movie because meh), rewatched Beauty and the Beast and Downton Abbey and started to listen to the audiobook he recorded for And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. I'm helpless. I also need to rewatch Legion because it's my favourite show of the year and I still have to wait six months for season 2 (sad months ahead)(also season 2 starts filming tomorrow!!).


BOOKS // Daphne du Maurier

In June, I discovered My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier and it became one of my favourite books of the year. In August, I watched the 2017 adaptation and it made me love the book even more (was it possible? Apparently). I also devoured Jamaica Inn, which was absolutely amazing and it left me craving for more. I'm currently reading The Loving Spirit (her debut novel) and I'm loving it. Then I really want to discover The House on the Strand, Frenchman's Creek, The Birds and Rebecca obviously (but I'm taking my time with this one, because I've already watched an adaptation). Daphne du Maurier is becoming one of my favourite authors.

EVENTS // Cassandra Clare and Holly Black's signings in London 

Last but certainly not least, on August 17th, I met Cassandra Clare and Holly Black. I'm still in shock. I went to London for the event basically and I will always cherish these memories. It was fun to meet Holly, who is hilarious, because I told her it was with The Spiderwick Chronicles I realised I was a fast reader and I showed her my very old copy. Meeting Cassandra Clare was a dream of mine and I never thought it would happen, least of all this year. I was freaking out but she was the nicest and we talked for so long! She used to live in Paris (like me) and we even talked in French (!!). I also told her I had started to read in English for Clockwork Prince and she was so surprised, but what can I say. One of the best moments of my life.

What was the best book you read in August? 
What were your favourite things this month?

Lots of love,
Lucie

No comments:

Post a Comment