Friday 5 January 2018

Reading wrap-up + Favourites // December 2017


Hello, beautiful people!


I can't believe that this is it... I am writing my last wrap-up of 2017. December was an amazing month, for the most part: I went to a book fair, to Disneyland Paris, saw my friends a lot, had a great Christmas and New Year's Eve and saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi way too many times. While the end of the year always makes me feel a bit down, I was happy for most of the month and I really took care of myself. I hope it'll make me start the year in a very positive state of mind.


W H A T  I  R E A D

  • Before She Ignites by Jodi Meadows 4/5 stars
  • Howards End by E.M. Forster 3.5/5 stars
  • Zenith by Sasha Alsberg and Lindsay Cummings (e-ARC) 2/5 stars
  • A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Writings by Charles Dickens 4/5 stars
  • The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory 3.5/5 stars
  • Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha Christie 4/5 stars
  • Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (reread) 5/5 stars
  • The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand 4.5/5 stars
  • Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien 3/5 stars
  • Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare (reread) 5/5 stars

I am very happy to have read many Christmas-themed books in December, because it truly put me in the mood for the holidays. Once again, I read books from different genres, reread some of my favourite books, it was overall a very good reading month and I feel like I have found the right balance for the books I want to read. I didn't have any new favourite books, but The Afterlife of Holly Chase almost made the list, for it was exactly what I needed when I read it.


F A V O U R I T E S

MOVIE // Star Wars: The Last Jedi (but also Star Wars in general)



As you're reading this, I will have seen The Last Jedi in theaters five times (needless to say, I haven't bought any books in December). I'm still trying to process what happens to me every time I watch it, but it was like a punch in the gut and I completely fell in love with it. Without a doubt, it is my favourite movie of 2017. Without a doubt, I love Kylo Ren more every time I watch it (and I'm not sorry). So many themes that were developed are mirroring what's happening to me lately and the whole movie felt right. I know that many people didn't like it at all (or the sequel movies in general), but I absolutely love where they are going and I can't wait to be in December 2019 to watch Episode IX (except that I'm 90% sure it'll break my heart). I could talk about it for hours, but know that I simply adore(d) it.

After that, I decided to make a Star Wars marathon over the holidays and it was the best decision ever. I grew up with Star Wars because my father is a huge fan and saw them countless times, but I hadn't watched them in forever and it was so much fun. I really need to do that more often.

DISNEYLAND PARIS


Like I said at the beginning of this post, I went to Disneyland Paris with two of my friends in the middle of December, it truly was one of the highlights of December. I'm a very lucky girl, because when I was younger, my parents took us there a lot and it has always been one of my happy places. I hadn't been there in three years and a half, but doing the attractions again, watching the new parade, wearing my Star Wars Mickey ears, and looking around with a big smile on my face was something I had missed so much. It was such a perfect day.

MUSIC // The Greatest Showman

The Greatest Showman still hasn't come out in France yet, which is very sad, we still have to wait until January 24th. *cries until then* Nevertheless, I started listening to the soundtrack the moment it was released on Spotify and I absolutely fell in love with it (which isn't surprising, considering I love musicals). I can't tell you which songs are my favourites because I would answer with five of them (but I do listen to Rewrite the Stars and From Now On on repeat a lot). I'm so looking forward to finally watch the movie this month!



TV SHOW // The Crown


The second season of The Crown was released on December 8th and of course, I binge-watched it in a few days. The Crown was one of my favourite TV shows of 2016 and made the list again in 2017. I absolutely love learning bits and pieces about Queen Elizabeth and the Royal family, even though some parts are fictionalized. The actors were amazing once again and while I'm a bit sad to see them go as we'll have older actors for seasons 3 and 4, I am so glad the creators of the show decided to do this, it'll be way more accurate. Watching The Crown made me realise how much I had missed period dramas for the past few months (as I was only watching Gilmore Girls) and I can't wait to watch more of them in 2018.

MUSIC // Reputation - Taylor Swift


I only listened to Reputation in December when my best friend lent me the album (I'm the worst, I had been waiting for so long) and I've been loving Taylor Swift's new album. She has been one of my favourite artists since I was twelve and I feel like I grew up with her. From the moment I heard Look What You Made Me Do when she released it as a single, I knew it would be perfect for me and I was right. I'm also super obsessed with New Year's Day, Gorgeous and This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things. She changed, I changed right along with her and that's how I know I'll still love her music for a long time.

ADAM DRIVER

Yes, I know. You're probably telling yourself: 'ugh, she has another celebrity crush and she's been bothering us with it on Twitter'. Well, I do have another celebrity crush, but I've come to realise that I get them because said celebrity is exactly what I need at the moment and that's more than the case for Adam Driver (aka Kylo Ren from Star Wars). He has an anxiety disorder, is awkward (but that's super adorable), doesn't talk a lot during group interviews, is quiet and yet, he's an amazing actor and pursue the career he wants. In those ways (and many more but trust me you don't want the list haha), we're very similar and I need someone to look up to when I feel lost/bad like I do these days. I keep telling myself that if he can do this, maybe I can find what I want to do and fight to get it, despite everything else. So yup, I watched a lot of his movies in December (I still am), am watching Undercover Boss Kylo Ren and the SNL Aladdin video every single day because they make me feel better, and I find him very attractive. He helped me to get through so much already, so that's a little more than a celebrity crush. Anyway, I'll stop bothering you with this for the time being, haha.



I hope December was an amazing month for you! What was your favourite book of the month? What's the best thing that happened?


Lots of love,
Lucie

No comments:

Post a Comment