Tuesday 25 August 2015

Top Ten Books I read this year (so far!)

I started this blog at the end of June, so I was a little late to do the Mid-Year Freak Out Book Tag (I'm not even sure it was the exact name, but well, you know what I mean) or the Top Ten Tuesday related to this topic. Still, I wanted to go back in time and make my list anyway.

1. A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC BY V.E. SCHWAB

I loved this book so so much (well, it's got the first spot). In general, I like when a book is set in London, but here it was in multiple ones. It was such an interesting concept and I can't wait to explore Black London in A Gathering of Shadows (my most anticipated release of 2016 of course). Lila is such an hilarious character, she's an aspiring pirate, what else can I want? There wasn't really romance in this first book for the main character, even though we obviously know who he'll end up with, so if you're not a fan of the romance, you can definitely read this book.

2. A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES BY SARAH J. MAAS

It's not really a surprise, because this is one of my favourite authors. If you don't know what it's about (which is very unlikely), it's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, about a huntress, Feyre, who kills a faerie and has to live with one, Tamlin, as a punishment. But there is a threat in this land, which Tamlin and Feyre will have to face. I loved the romance, even if I have a soft spot for Rhysand. Sarah J. Maas made me love the faeries again, I love hers and seeing all these court politics.

3. THE WRATH AND THE DAWN BY RENEE AHDIEH

I had never read a Thousand and One Nights retelling before, but boy I was blown away. Of course, it focused more on the romance than the problems within the kingdom, but I loved it anyway. Moreover, I can feel that the next book, The Rose and the Dagger, will focus more on this aspect of the book. I know a lot of people were disappointed by this novel, because it was mostly romance-driven, but I didn't mind.

4. SNOW LIKE ASHES BY SARA RAASCH

I'm a total sucker for high fantasy. This one totally stood out to me, I loved this world where kingdoms are based on seasons, so is the physic of each character. I was really impressed because it was a debut. It contains every element you can expect in a good high fantasy. This book starts to have a lot of hype so go read it before it ruins it for you.

5. VICIOUS BY V.E. SCHWAB

This author is one of my new favourites. This book was so unique, I had never read anything quite like that. It is a superhero story, with grey characters. That's what I loved the most about it, for example Victor wondered of it made him a bad guy because he wanted to go after Eli, who was supposed to be the good guy but wasn't. Sydney's character development was also well done.

6. ROGUE BY JULIE KAGAWA

Another of my new favourites author! It's been a while since I read a novel with dragons and I loved the two books in this series. It was interesting to set it in our world, it was a different urban fantasy thanks to the supernatural creatures set here. I'm really eager to read the third novel because it ended on a big cliff-hanger.

7. INK AND BONE BY RACHEL CAINE

The first dystopian novel on this list. I really liked the world, based on the Great Library's survival. It was mostly a plot revolving around academics, but at the same time it is basically the Hunger Games, literally no one is safe, because there are only six spots when they are thirty students. I'm really interested to see where this story goes, especially for Morgan.

8. THE LAST TIME WE SAY GOODBYE BY CYNTHIA HAND

The only contemporary of this list. Be warned, this book revolves around suicide. It is the story of a girl who has to go on with her life when her brother killed himself. I already talked a lot about this book, so I don't want to bore you, but it's so genuine you can't help but be touched. Just read it.

9. THE STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL SORROWS OF AVA LAVENDER BY LESLYE WALTON

Another unique novel. Funny story, in the beginning Emilienne's family lived in Trouville-sur-mer in France and my boyfriend did his internship their this summer so I went to this town. The story was intriguing and compelling. I liked we had different points of view, I loved them all!

10. AN EMBER IN THE ASHES BY SABAA TAHIR

Lots of hype around this one, it has been optioned for a movie before its publication date. This world inspired by the Roman empire was so well done, the Masks are a really interesting group. Of course it wasn't a standalone, I can't wait for the next book.

Of course there are a lot of other books I rated 5 stars, but I couldn't include them all in this list.

What about you? Did you read any of these books? What is your list of favourites so far this year?

Let me know in the comments. :)

1 comment:

  1. YOU IMMEDIATELY EARNED MY RESPECT WITH THE FIRST BOOK ITSELF! I loved ADSOM! Also Vicious! In fact, Vicious is my all time favourite book and I have an undying love for Victoria Schwab! She is such an awesome author and her writing style and characters are incomparable!
    The Wrath and the Dawn! Another favourite of mine! I really loved the way Renee Ahdieh depicted Middle Eastern culture, and THE ROMANCE! *swoons*

    ReplyDelete