Friday 11 December 2015

A satisfaying conclusion with a good romance | The Revolution of Ivy

Title: The Revolution of Ivy (The Book of Ivy #2)
Author: Amy Engel
Published: November 3rd 2015 by Entangled Teen

Goodreads summary: Ivy Westfall is beyond the fence and she is alone. Abandoned by her family and separated from Bishop Lattimer, Ivy must find a way to survive on her own in a land filled with countless dangers, both human and natural. She has traded a more civilized type of cruelty--forces marriages and murder plots--for the bare-knuckled brutality required to survive outside Westfall's borders.

But there is hope beyond the fence, as well. When Bishop reappears in Ivy's life, she must decide if returning to Westfall to take a final stand for what she believes is right is worth losing everything she's fought for.



REVIEW

The ending of The Book of Ivy let me eager for more adventures in this world, and I wanted more than what I got. The Revolution of Ivy starts where the previous book left off, with our main character, Ivy, struggling to survive outside the fence. This is a real trope in dystopia so it wasn’t really original, but I liked the way they handled it, Ivy had to fight for herself as soon as the beginning of the book. Of course, she finds a community, but lie about who she is and why she was put outside.

I was annoyed that she couldn’t tell the truth, at first, because I thought it would blow up into her face, but it didn’t. She was confronted to her past really quickly, but she had been able to make friends in the meantime, so they helped her. Ivy was an indecisive character during the most part of the book, it was realistic, because she had to choose where her loyalties lied, but it was irritating at the same time.


The world introduced was usual in dystopia, very similar to the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver. The struggle about surviving in the wild was handled well, even if I thought they stayed there for a long time, which didn’t allow the book to move a lot. The characters spent a lot of time worrying about winter, the supplies, and it wasn’t really exciting for me. They got back to Westfall a little late, in my opinion, but I liked that they got back for a real reason, though. The new characters introduced were well developed and I got really attached to them.

My favourite part of the book was totally the romance. I didn’t care that much that this story was classical dystopia, because Ivy and Bishop have such an amazing relationship. They had to work a lot on their relationship, because Ivy felt so guilty for what happened, but they were such cuties.



The ending was action-packed and fast-paced and triggered a lot of emotions in me; it totally redeemed the book for being slower paced in the beginning. I wasn’t surprised by the resolution of the book, though. The epilogue was amazing, I really enjoyed it.

Final Thoughts:                                                                 
I really enjoyed this book which was a satisfying conclusion to this duology, but I expected more action and a faster pace. The new characters introduced were great. The romance was actually the best part of the book. Overall, this duology is classical dystopia; fans of that genre should love it.


Have you read this duology? Did you find it was an usual dystopian novel? 

No comments:

Post a Comment