Tuesday 15 December 2015

Top Ten High Fantasy Books I've read this year | Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature created by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is about our favourite books we read this year. I decided to go with the best high fantasy I've read this year, because it's my favourite genre! I'm also planning to do a post dedicated to my favourites by genres (an award-type I think) so that's why, because I'll have to narrow down to one fantasy then. THE STRUGGLE IS REAL, GUYS. Also, the year isn't finished so I can still read some favourite books, right?

THE SEQUELS


Both are some of my favourite series! I discovered Falling Kingdoms this year, I even read the sequel, I neeeeeed Frozen Tides like I need air (but I won't probably have it until my birthday, in February). The Rose Society blew me away. I was lucky enough to get a copy three months before the release date, it's the first type that happens!

NEW SERIES FROM BELOVED AUTHORS


I think Shadow and Bone must have been the first YA high fantasy I've read in English, so it holds a special place in my heart. If you didn't know, I went to Leigh's signing in the Netherlands in October, and it was amaaaaazing. No but seriously, this book is all about criminals trying to do the heist of the century. YAAAASSSS. Of course, I had to choose A Court of Thorns and Roses because it was a retelling + high fantasy! And Rhysand. Does anyone need more reason that him? I'm really anticipating the next book, even if I'm a little scared, because I was mad after Queen of Shadows? We'll see...

THEY WERE WORTH THE HYPE


SO MUCH HYPE AROUND THESE BOOKS, GUYS. But tbh, they totally deserved it, since they made it to this list! ;) An Ember in the Ashes was... Everything you could want in a high fantasy. I was happy about both points of view, because it wasn't just for the romance. Uprooted was a great fairy tale type story, really magical, I loved it. Moreover, it was a standalone, it changed. 


For Snow like Ashes and The Winner's Curse, I loved the first books more than the second ones (hi, second book syndrom), but I'm sure both finale will be phenomenal. About that, what do you think about the cover changes for The Winner's Curse and its sequels? I'm so sad and angry about it, because I was debating getting the hardcovers since I love this series but read it as an ebook but... Now I'll just sick with the ebooks...

DEBUTS I HEARD LESS ABOUT BUT THEY WERE AWESOME


Those books were two of my big discoveries of the year! Stolen Songbird has an amazing French vibe and trolls and OMG I'm anticipating the last book (have you seen the cover, btw? It's soo pretty!) so hard. I totally think Danielle L. Jensen is an author I should keep my eye on, because she'll be great, and will probably become one of my favourite authors. I could totally say the same for Elise Kova. Air Awakens is a fantasy with elemental magic - which I love and haven't seen since... Bloodlines I think? It has court politics, a slow burning romance and a rich world! It was the first book I read this month and I think it made it bad for the rest of the books I'll read before the end of the year...

Have you read any of the books I mentionned? What did you think of them? Are they in your favourites list? What do you think about The Winner's Trilogy by Marie Rutkoski covers change? What were your favourite books of the year?

13 comments:

  1. I just read all of the Throne of Glass books and I have ACOTAR waiting for me on my shelf. Its awesome to see it on so many lists this week because I am obviously in for a treat :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes you are! When you're finished with it, come back and tell me who is your favourite male character ;)

      Delete
  2. There are quite a few here on my TBR!I really loved ACOTAR. Great list!

    <a href="https://booksbyproxy.wordpress.com/2015/12/15/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-classics-of-2015/>My TTT</a>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Uprooted was one of my favourite books this year as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the atmosphere of this book. The UK cover - which I have - is one of my favourite covers of all times and a shiny one :)

      Delete
  4. I really liked The Winner's Curse myself. The second book...Not so much. Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know... *sigh* Hopefully the last book will be great :)

      Delete
  5. I recently bought both Stolen Songbird AND its sequel off of Amazon Kindle during their black friday deal, so I am VERY excited to read both. And I'm glad to see Snow Like Ashes on the list! I am afraid of reading Ice Like Fire because of this second book syndrome, but I do love the series. AND NO, I AM NOT OKAY WITH THE COVER CHANGE THANK YOU VERY MUCH. hahahha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is my baby, I didn't expect to love it as much as I do now! I understand... I still really enjoyed Ice Like Fire - some people REALLY didn't - but well, the first one was so much better. I can't wait to read the sequel though! The UK cover will remain the same for The Winner's Kiss apparently, at least there is that :)

      Delete
  6. AHHH. SO MANY GREAT BOOKS HERE. I absolutely adore all of the books you've mentioned here. Six of Crows, The Winner's Curse, Snow Like Ashes and Stolen Songbird are some of my favorite books as well. Thanks for sharing, and great choices! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're also a fan of high fantasy then, that's great! <3

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed Six of Crows too!
    New follower :)
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own two copies of it xD Thanks for following me :)

      Delete