Sunday 4 October 2015

Six of Crows | Book review

Title: Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Published: September 29th by Henry Holt and Company

Goodreads summary: Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums. 

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes. 

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.

REVIEW

I expected to love it, I wasn’t disappointed. In the acknowledgments, Bardugo said she read a book about Amsterdam to write Ketterdam, it’s exactly what I felt, without knowing she meant to do it that way. Being back into the Grisha world was amazing, I really had missed it, I’m thinking to give the previous trilogy a reread to be honest. I really enjoyed the parts of the world we got to discover, like Ketterdam or the Ice Court in Fjerdan territory.

Each character was unique in its way, I enjoyed reading about every one of them. Truly, changing points of view all the time wasn’t an issue in this book. However, I’m warning you: you might be a little confused in the beginning, because Bardugo talks about everyone as if we already knew them, there are SO MANY NAMES, even of secondary characters. Nevertheless, I liked she did it from the beginning, because I had to be really careful, it gripped my attention this way. I think if I had to pick a favourite, it would be Nina, she’s a Grisha who loves cake, so well.

There is room for so much romance in the second book, but it’s not really the priority for the characters right away in the next book, because some of them will be in big trouble. I ship all the ships and I’m glad there will be an homosexual relationship, because it doesn’t happen that often in high fantasy.

The plot was much about… Plotting. The first chapter was everything. It was from a different character’s perspective, I was disconcerted but it was really necessary, because you see something really important happening, I wanted to read the rest of the book straight away after that, haha. I liked to see how many backup plans the characters had, the main ones like the villains. The heist was truly amazing, it took a big part of the story because every character had a part in it (in the last part, the time was written below each chapter headers, so much things happened, really).

The ending was full of twists and reveals, something went bad because of a second of inattention, that’s crazy. Seriously, I want the next one in my hands right now. I only have a suggestion for Leigh Bardugo: can we have Wylan’s chapters in the next book please?


Have you read this book? What did you think of it?

1 comment:

  1. I don't like when the book has so many name, what is that for, I never remember any of those names except the main characters names.
    I your new follower via email.
    Silvy @Books are my life

    ReplyDelete