Friday 28 April 2017

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor // Book review

Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer #1) by Laini Taylor

Publication date: March 28th 2017
Genres: young adult, fantasy
Number of pages: 536

Summary: The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around—and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he’s been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance or lose his dream forever.

What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?

The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries—including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo’s dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? And if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?

Welcome to Weep. 

REVIEW 
“It was impossible, of course. But when did that ever stop any dreamer from dreaming?”

I've been in love with Laini Taylor's writing ever since I read her Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy (in about three to four days, when they're so big), so of course, when I heard about Strange the Dreamer, I was so excited to get my hands on it. The release date was pushed back by several months, but in the end, it was a good thing, considering how amazing this book was.

I don't talk a lot about author's writing, except when it stands out a lot. Laini Taylor has such a poetic writing that makes you feel like you're inside a fairy tale and that's part of what make her books so different from the others. From the first line of the prologue, I was compelled into the story, because it seemed so tragic and intriguing. By the way, I had forgotten part of the prologue when I read the ending and when I reread it... W-O-W.

Moreover, the world-building was absolutely spectacular. Laini Taylor created such a vivid and interesting world and she explained it so well, I never felt left out or overwhelmed this information. It's true that because of it, the book is a little slower-paced than most fantasy novels, but I really didn't mind. It was the type of book where you savour every word because you can never get enough. The characters didn't really know about the city of Weep at the beginning of the novel, except for Lazlo, but when they discovered all about it, it wasn't cliché like in some books. I already miss this unique world and I cannot wait to get back into it when The Muse of Nightmares will be released.


”You have no idea how much consideration I've given it. I lived seven years inside these books. My body may have been going about its duties in the library, but my mind was here. Do you know what they called me? Strange the dreamer. I was barely aware of my surroundings half the time.”


I absolutely loved the main characters of this book. At first, I wasn't sure that I was attached to them the way I was attached to the characters of Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but oh well, this time I didn't have the whole series waiting on my shelf. Lazlo was absolutely wonderful to read about, because he was a dreamer and a librarian, so obviously I could relate to that. He was curious and so dedicated to understand the mysteries of Weep that I was there, just along him, trying to figure everything out. The other main character is Sarai and I was a little unsure about her at first, because we only saw her later in the book. I can't say much about her, because it would be a spoiler, but I felt so much compassion towards her. At the end, I loved her so, so much. She was brave and challenging, and in fact, was also a dreamer.

The thing is, I can't talk much about this book without spoiling, even though there are still a lot of things I wish to say. I'll just talk a little about the romance in the spoiler section because I want to, but that's about it.


/SPOILER/ (highlight if you want to read)
”I think you're a fairy tale. I think you're magical, and brave, and exquisite. And...” His voice grew bashful. Only in a dream could he be so bold and speak such words. “I hope you'll let me be in your story.”



At first, I thought that the romance was happening a bit too fast, but it made a lot of sense. Lazlo and Sarai had both been lonely their whole lives and it felt logical that they found happiness with each other. Also, the scenes when they were together in his dreams reminded me so much of Legion (aka my favourite show at the moment), I had so many feelings. /SPOILER/

After that ending, I have no idea how I'll be able to wait until The Muse of Nightmares comes out, but I don't really have a choice, don't I? This book was absolutely amazing and I'm so happy Laini Taylor didn't disappoint me... At this point, I'd read her groceries list.

OverallStrange the Dreamer was absolutely amazing and worth the wait (I mean, I waited two years and some people three?!). It had beautiful writing, original world-building and characters I grew to love. I was hesitant to give it five stars, for I couldn't help but try to compare it to my love for Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but it wasn't fair, as it's not even a series yet. But honestly, it's such a unique book that I couldn't stop reading and wow. I can't wait for The Muse of Nightmares!



No comments:

Post a Comment