Tuesday 8 December 2015

A character-driven book I wanted more action from | Ungodly

Title: Ungodly (The Goddess War #3)
Author: Kendare Blake
Published: September 22nd 2015 by Tor Teen

Goodreads summary: For the Goddess of Wisdom, what Athena didn't know could fill a book. That's what her opponents said. 

So she was wrong about some things. So her carefully planned assault on Olympus left her team beaten and scattered and possibly dead. So they have to fight the Fates themselves, who, it turns out, are the source of the gods illness. And sure, Athena is stuck in the underworld, holding the body of the only hero she has ever loved.

But all is not lost. Hermes is still topside, trying to power up Andie and Henry before he runs out of time and submits to his death, or the Fates arrive to speed it along. 

And Cassandra is up there somewhere, too, on a quest for death... with the god of death himself.

REVIEW

This book was the conclusion to the Goddess War trilogy, I was excited to read it, because the second book left off on a cliff-hanger. Now that I’m looking back, I feel like this trilogy was more character-driven than action-packed, and I’m kind of regretting it, because I was expecting more action from it.

I really enjoyed that we got three points of view in this book, because at the end of the second book, the characters weren’t at the same place and were looking toward different paths. This switch between the points of view made me kept reading and totally renewed my interest for the plot.

Kendare Blake expanded the world of this trilogy and we finally got to see the Underworld – literally everyone expects it in Greek mythology novels – I liked to see how Persephone was dying. However, I’m wondering: did we see Zeus in this trilogy? I feel like we didn’t but maybe I read too fast and missed the part where he was? I don’t know but it is awkward not to see him.


The romance was so good in this book, I’m happy Henry and Andie got together – even if the whole world was begging them to be together I’m kidding. I also got a soft spot for Thanatos with Cassandra, even if it is twisted, him being death and everything, but I don’t mind, she deserves to be with someone after all the events of the previous books.

My favourite moments featured:
1)      Hephaestus who was so cool and steampunk-y (evn if it’s urban fantasy). He was a noble character, even if I doubted him for a moment. And the lunch with Hermes was everything.
2)      When the Moirae possessed Cassandra, it was unexpected and disgusting but AWESOME.

I felt the ending was a little easy, I actually didn’t remember it while writing this review, three days after I finished the book (and here, everyone discovers or not my reviews are scheduled LOOOONG after I’m reading the books).


2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about whether or not to give this a try, but I think I will. I'm just going to have to expect more character development than actual action. :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) It's more plotting, and then some action, and then more plotting, etc. Until an action-packed finale! I love this author anyway, Anna Dressed in Blood was amazing!

      Delete