Sunday 6 December 2015

How joining the book community changed my reading life | Discussion

I wanted to do a discussion post but… I also wanted to talk about something personal so…

BOOKS + PERSONAL STUFF = ALMOST PERFECT


Anyway, I wanted to talk about how the book community impacted on my reading life. In fact, I used to be a little bookworm, who was alone, because even if I’m from a family of readers… We don’t read the same thing, even if my brother loves Rick Riordan. But still. So when I found the book community, it was everything I could wish for!



In 2013, I started to watch BookTube videos and well… It changed a lot of things in my reading life and reading became more like an addiction since then. I got a lot of book recommendations from these videos and I'm grateful for that. However, it's not the case these days, I'm only watching BookTube videos for entertainment... Because I read a lot more than most BookTubers (except Aprilius Maximus who is as bad as I am!). Before, I could read a book, then I wouldn’t read for a month, and then I would read three books in a row. It depended. Now… If I don’t read every day, I’m feeling… WEIRD.



So, let's talk about joining the book community online changed my reading life (for the best and the worst).

I'M READING SO MUCH AND I'M SHOCKED ABOUT IT EVERY DAY

So because of that, the main thing that changed in my reading life was the amount of books I read. To make it simple, look at the difference between 2013 and 2014:


Reading 55 books was already a lot in 2013 and I was really proud. Before, I had NO IDEA how many books I read a year, and I didn't care. The more important was that I was reading and loving it. But then, it really became an addiction, as you can see. My amount of books read also increased drastically because I started to get competitive, to read as many books as possible. I think deep down, I'm still thinking like that.

And now, of course, you can ask me: But how do you manage to read that much? Are you a Time Lord? How much money do you spend on books?

Well, in fact, when I'm at uni, I live alone so it's really easy to read because I can do it while I eat, when I do breaks between studying, etc. I make more time for it than for watching Netflix, for example. I also don't have a social life this semester, it's a choice but this way, I can read a lot! Lastly, it's bad but... Sometimes my classes are really bad, because a teacher isn't really good and everything soooo... I can read and listen to him at the same time. Yes, that's my dirty little secret. I read 58% of A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston during a class on Thursday.


And about the money well... I don't spend that much (I mean yes I do, but it could be so much worse). Two and a half years ago, I bought an e-reader (called Penelope) and I read most books on it. I love physical copies more, tbh, but I don't have enough money for it... Kindle unlimited helps a lot! For example, in November, I only bought Winter and Ten Thousand Skies Above You in hardcover, that's all! I'm also starting to buy more paperbacks, because it's cheaper.

I READ IN A LANGUAGE THAT ISN'T MINE

If you don't know, I'm French. So of course, even when I first started watching BookTube videos, I was reading the same books that everyone else... But in French. Now, all I can think is: Ugh, translations. I discovered a lot of books, but I could only read the first or second book in each series because... Sometimes, translations take a year. Yes, can you imagine reading Winter after everyone? I can't.


So I started to read in English, because I wanted to know what happened in Clockwork Prince. Yes Cassandra Clare is a reason for everything. I remember reading Clockwork Angel, loving it so much and wanting the sequel. Then I realized I wouldn't have it before long and then I begged my father to buy it through Amazon (I didn't have a credit card at that time, I was a little one). It was hard, but I managed and I loved it. And then I got the first hardcover edition of Clockwork Princess and I'm still as proud as a peacock about it.


But because of that my book collection is... Monstrous. I own some books in French but then the last book of a lot of series in English (Legend, The Mortal Instruments, The Heroes of Olympus). However, it is sometimes useful, because I'm starting to make my boyfriend read in English *evil laughter* (Btw I know you're reading this and you're happy I'm talking about you, even if I got you ;) ).

Still, here I am, talking in English all the time on the Internet and sometimes... It is hard to find my words in French, because I'm lost between the two languages. But I'm proud because if it weren't for books, I wouldn't be great in English. I can pnly talk about books I love with English speaking people so yeah... No choice!

I'M ACTIVE ON SOCIAL MEDIAS

When I joined the book community, I had a tumblr, and I spent ALL MY FREE TIME on that website. Now that I think about it, I'm wondering about the usefulness of doing so... It was my first online experience of sharing my love of books, through graphics of fandoms. I think I just did it because it was pretty *hides because of shallowness*


At the same time, I also made a Goodreads account and it was like a bookworm’s heaven. It still is. To be honest, 60% of my time on the Internet involves Goodreads. I’m reading every list ever and I’m updated on every book, it’s crazy. I’m slowing down a little bit since I now have a blog, but still. Anyway, at first, I was only reviewing books there, for two years I think?

In 2014, I wanted to create a blog, it exists (if you go on my Google profile, you can see I have two blogs) but I never posted on it. I guess I had the idea but no. I didn’t have time for it back then, so I’m glad I didn’t start at that time or it would have been a catastrophe. Then, at the beginning of June, I thought a lot about it and then I did it! I created a book blog! Well, of course I did because you’re reading this! I’m happy I did it, just to prove myself I could.

But, I’m now also active on Twitter! I think I had an account for three years but I really started using it with the blog, because it helps you with promo. So yeah, I’m trying to tweet, but I’m not really good. But I’m active there. Sometimes. It’s a huge step, ha-ha.


I forgot to mention that I’m a shy person. Yeah. You can’t see it here, because of course, I’m here to talk write. But on Twitter, it’s harder, IDK. Anyway, the book community helped me with that, because I can talk to other people about books I love and I even did it in real life in October at the Leigh Bardugo’s event. So yes, the book community totally helps me on a social aspect. Because I suck at being social.


What is your story about the book community? Can you open up about books you love in real life? Let me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment