Wednesday 8 July 2015

Review : A Book of Spirits and Thieves by Morgan Rhodes

A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves #1) by Morgan Rhodes

Published: June 23rd 2015 by Razorbill

Genre: young adult, fantasy

Goodreads Summary: Modern-day sisters discover deadly ancient magic in book 1 of this Falling Kingdoms spin-off series! Worlds collide in this suspenseful, page-turning Falling Kingdoms spin-off series, which explores a whole new side of Mytica—and an even darker version of its magic.



Crystal Hatcher, Modern-day Toronto: It’s a normal afternoon in her mother’s antique bookshop when Crys witnesses the unthinkable: her little sister Becca collapses into a coma after becoming mesmerized by a mysterious book written in an unrecognizable language.

Maddox Corso, Ancient Mytica: Maddox Corso doesn’t think much of it when he spots an unfamiliar girl in his small village. Until, that is, he realizes that she is a spirit, and he is the only one who can see or hear her. Her name is Becca Hatcher, and she needs Maddox to help get her home.

Farrell Grayson, Modern-day Toronto: Rich and aimless Farrell Grayson is thrilled when the mysterious leader of the ultra-secret Hawkspear Society invites him into the fold. But when he learns exactly what he has to do to prove himself, Farrell starts to question everything he thought he knew about family, loyalty, and himself. Fate has brought these young people together, but ancient magic threatens to rip them apart.

REVIEW

I'm still not a fan of the cover but this book was amazing! I'm not really surprised, because I love the Falling Kingdoms series. It was really interesting to mix modern world and Mytica, especially with the link between the two, Becca - mostly because she is more the link between the two worlds that I thought, in the end! I would have liked to read more about Toronto, though, because we saw everyday life's buildings, but that's pretty much all. During my reading, I had the feeling we were seeing less of Mytica (and proportionally, we were), but I don't think it's a big deal, because discovering everything people of our world knew about Mytica was so interesting!

The plot focuses around Valoria's reign in Mytica (for this part of the story), it was like a prequel to Falling Kingdoms on that point, but modern world so it was kind of disturbing. Still, it means that time doesn't work the same between the two worlds, maybe even reverse? It's a big spoiler but here is the thing : Markus is sent to our world sixty years before the story starts, but Becca witnesses that the book is sent in Toronto. Then, maybe Valoria could sent the book back in time, but had sent Markus before? I don't know, we'll in the next book. What I loved about this plot was the plot twists I didn't see coming. I liked how everything was connected somehow between the two worlds, even if I knew it was.

For the most part, the characters were enjoyable. From the three points of view, I liked Crystal's character the best, because of who she was, and how she wants to know. Farrell's was really good, but he was a total sexist asshole - he thought he could won every girl over. He liked Crystal, but for a part it was because she resisted him, I'm not sure I like that. Still, she'll be on guard with him for now on. I liked the characters from the beginning, because of Becca.

"Becca Hatcher-making dreams come true, one book at a time,"

She's a book lover and her mom owns a bookshop, where she works to help her. Their aunt Jackie was also really interesting. So was Adam, I think we'll see him more in the next book, but I hope there won't be a love triangle between him, Becca and Maddox (maybe I see them everywhere, but I'm on guard). About the romance, I liked that mostly, the characters were drown to each other, it wasn't really love, but the beginning.

Maddox rubbed his eyes. "Have you ever been in love, Barnabas?" Barnabas paused, as if in solemn thought. "Is that what this is with the spirit girl?" "I don't know what it is. I'm just asking you a question."

Of course it's suspicious, but still - not romance driven, like Falling Kingdoms. I love that about Morgan Rhodes, really. 

The book didn't finish on a big cliff-hanger (there were big revelations before, though), which is a good thing, because sometimes I forget what it was, but there are so many questions hanging in the air, mainly : Markus? What happened with Valoria, really? I can't wait to read the next book, and now I want Frozen Tides so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment