Saturday 11 July 2015

Review : Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

Title: Saint Anything

Author: Sarah Dessen

Publisher: Viking Juvenile

Release Date: May 5th 2015

Goodreads Summary: Peyton, Sydney's charismatic older brother, has always been the star of the family, receiving the lion's share of their parents' attention and—lately—concern. When Peyton's increasingly reckless behavior culminates in an accident, a drunk driving conviction, and a jail sentence, Sydney is cast adrift, searching for her place in the family and the world. When everyone else is so worried about Peyton, is she the only one concerned about the victim of the accident?

Enter the Chathams, a warm, chaotic family who run a pizza parlor, play bluegrass on weekends, and pitch in to care for their mother, who has multiple sclerosis. Here Sydney experiences unquestioning acceptance. And here she meets Mac, gentle, watchful, and protective, who makes Sydney feel seen, really seen, for the first time.

The uber-popular Sarah Dessen explores her signature themes of family, self-discovery, and change in her twelfth novel, sure to delight her legions of fans.

REVIEW

I haven't read a Sarah Dessen book before this one, so this review doesn't mean I dislike her books in general. This book involves heavy topics, which I wasn't in the mood for. The plot wasn't the only reason I disliked it. I don't understand what Dessen tried to write, but it didn't work for me. Maybe the book is better in the end, but I didn't finish it 53% in. I've tried for something like three days or so to get into the story, but totally failed. 

This book felt a bit flat for me, I wasn't able to connect with the characters at all. Sydney's brother is in jail, okay, that's a fact, but I didn't understand the way her parents reacted. Well, for the father, I could, but the mother was ridiculous. I get that what happened is a tragedy, but she still acted as if her son was a prodigy or something, and never cared about Sydney. Or her feelings. And then, she complained that Sydney was distant. You bet she was. She's always stuck with a weird guy who looks like if he would rape her, and her mother is just like "Oh Ames, you're the best!". Other thing, she's in a pizzeria with her daughter and not in the best mood, but then her son calls and she's so happy as if he was the golden boy! Okay, she misses him and feels like she messed up with him. But she's making the big mistake to let her daughter down! What do you think could happen? The only time she cares about her is for her curfew. I hated that character with all my soul. 

About the plot, I didn't feel like much was going on. Sydney goes to school, has a normal life, the end. I think at the end of the book she'll date Mac and her mother will calm down, but I don't want to see it happen. 

This book is more about everyday life, with your own struggles, centered about family, and that's great. Unfortunatly, it wasn't something I wanted to read, and it could have been better. The characters were a big problem here. So was the ordinary life she had. It's a book about her coming of age, but I didn't care for that. Sorry, Sarah Dessen. 

I'm sorry but I can't think straight because of how much I was pissed at this book. I might try to read other books by Sarah Dessen in the future, but only if someone recommends them to me because right now... 

Rating: 1/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment