Sunday 12 July 2015

Review : The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall

Title: The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us, #1)

Author: Maggie Hall

Publisher: Putnam Juvenile

Release Date: January 13th 2015

Goodreads Summary: A fast-paced international escapade, laced with adrenaline, glamour, and romance--perfect for fans of Ally Carter

Avery West's newfound family can shut down Prada when they want to shop in peace, and can just as easily order a bombing when they want to start a war. Part of a powerful and dangerous secret society called the Circle, they believe Avery is the key to an ancient prophecy. Some want to use her as a pawn. Some want her dead.

To unravel the mystery putting her life in danger, Avery must follow a trail of clues from the monuments of Paris to the back alleys of Istanbul with two boys who work for the Circle—beautiful, volatile Stellan and mysterious, magnetic Jack. But as the clues expose a stunning conspiracy that might plunge the world into World War 3, she discovers that both boys are hiding secrets of their own. Now she will have to choose not only between freedom and family--but between the boy who might help her save the world, and the one she's falling in love with.

REVIEW

To be honest, I found the first pages to this book to be a little overwhelming, and I felt so lost. I felt too much pushed into Avery's life, it was really confusing, and I didn't really liked the writing, I was thinking about not reading it. But I told myself that after Saint Anything, I had to read a whole book, because I couldn't get into a reading slump - in reality, I just want The Heart of Betrayal and Ink and Bone!

Anyway, I kept reading, and when Avery went to prom, it started to be interesting. She discovers she's part of one of the twelve families that basically run the world - and have done it since after Alexander the Great died. I liked that idea, but it was really unrealistic. I particularly disliked that Maggie Hall mentioned important politics, but never gave their name. First, she says 'the president of France'. Okay, I get that he isn't the most famous president, but the plot was taking place in Paris at that time, and the author didn't bother to tell his name. For the record, it's François Holland. I know that anyone could tell I'm biased because I'm French, but it was the same for 'the queen of England', oh, you know, Elizabeth II

Talking about this, I liked that the book started in America to go in Paris and Istanbul. BUT Paris was just stereotypes, and this made me sad, because I live there. Maggie Hall kind of said that the whole city was beautiful. I'm sorry but no. Just no. Worst, Avery thinks Paris is beautiful because : le Louvre, the Eiffel Tower and Notre-Dame. Right. There is nothing else in this city. It might be my patriotic side, but it was a caricature. Also, funny fact, the Dauphin family is French. However, when the son and heir Luc spoke, it was like an American trying to speak French. It was so ridiculous. Most people mustn't have noticed this but I was so mad. If you want a character speaking in his native language, please do it right. I don't think it was that bad for Istanbul, because the characters are there for one night. Still, I get that Avery wasn't here to visit, but even at the end when she meets Stellan in Montmartre, it was stupid, she must have gone to a place less known, seriously.

Nevertheless, I liked this book because of its plot. Searching for clues that could change everything about the mandate was really interesting, and who doesn't like a good puzzle? The scene in the Louvre when Avery 'fainted' was funny, but it was a little too easy. I can't wait for Avery to find the tomb, because I'm really intrigued about it. It was action-packed and it kept my attention for the whole book.

The characters were fine, nothing extraordinary here. I think my favourite one was Luc, his family is one of the twelve, but he's still of help with Avery in the end. Moreover, I hop he'll have his romance, because he doesn't have it easy: he's gay but his family tried to marry him off. 

The romance was alright, no insta-love or anything, but sadly, the love triangle is here. I felt it in the first pages in this book, and I'll be honest: I hate it. There are books where I love that, but here...

Overall, I think it's one of this books I like but won't die if I don't read the sequel. I'm intrigued about the mystery around Alexander the Great's tomb, but not so much about the characters and the romance. Still, it was enough for a debut novel. 

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment