Saturday 11 July 2015

Review : Dream a little dream by Kerstin Gier

Title: Dream a Little Dream

Author: Kerstin Gier

Translator (from German): Anthea Bell

Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.

Release Date: April 14th 2015 (originally published March 8th 2013)

Goodreads Summary: Mysterious doors with lizard-head knobs. Talking stone statues. A crazy girl with a hatchet. Yes, Liv's dreams have been pretty weird lately. Especially the one where she's in a graveyard at night, watching four boys conduct dark magic rituals.

The strangest part is that Liv recognizes the boys in her dream. They're classmates from her new school in London, the school where she's starting over because her mom has moved them to a new country (again). But what's really scaring Liv is that the dream boys seem to know things about her in real life, things they couldn't possibly know--unless they actually are in her dreams? Luckily, Liv never could resist a good mystery, and all four of those boys are pretty cute...

REVIEW

I'm not surprised by how much I've loved this book, considered how the Ruby Red trilogy was amazing. Gier's writing is fantastic (I've read her books both in French and English, so I don't know if I can really say that). The plot was unique, if I could compare it to another book it would be The Raven Boys, because there are four guys and dreams are involved, but let's stop here for that. 

I can't say much about the plot, because spoiler. It's kind of slow-paced, because Liv has a new life, so the world-building is necessary, and she couldn't be thrown away with the boys like that. The paranormal stuffs were unique, but I wish to know more about it, but I'm not worried about that.
He smiled sympathetically. "It's over, Anabel." Anabel's lips twitched, and for a moment it looked as if she would burst into tears. But then she threw back her head and laughed. "Oh, you're so wrong, Henry," she said. "In fact, it's only just begun." 
I hadn't seen the plot twist coming at first, but it makes a lot of sense. I like how Kerstin Gier always takes her readers to unexpected adventures, she's one of my favourite authors I think. 

The main character was amazing. Liv Silver has travelled all around the world, takes kung fu lessons, loves puzzles and mystery and doesn't want boy trouble.
"Liv, stop it!" hissed Mia. "You look like a lovelorn sheep!" I gave a start. "As bad as that? Oh, that's terrible." I added-and was to regret it in the course of the day-"If you see me looking like that again, give me a nudge or throw something at me. Promise?"
I loved her, because of course she doesn't want to be like anyone else, and she's thrown into the problems of the four popular guys in her new school. I liked that she was thrown into it because Grayson, on of them, was supposed to be her new "brother". Her little sister, Mia, was one of my favourite too, like the scene with the "I'm seventy percent sure the bus is heading in the right direction", but obviously noooot. Both of them are so into Sherlock Holmes, it's so cool. And now they're in London so that's amazing. I hope they will do a Sherlock Holmes tour or something!

I really liked the romance, Henry is so cute, but I'm scared because in the acknowledgments, Gier wondered if he would stay with Liv or they would split up because of secrets. Sadly, it happened in Sapphire Blue because Gideon didn't trust Gwen anymore, so I'm scared for book 2. 
"Do you know why I began believing in that demon?" he asked quietly. I shook my head. "Because my wish came true the moment I met you." "You'd wished to meet someone with a stinking cheese in her bag?" 
He didn't laugh at my joke, which admittedly wasn't very funny, but ran his forefinger around my lips. "You're like me," he said seriously. "You love puzzles. You like to play. You're happy to take risks. It's when things look like they're getting dangerous that you feel really excited." He leaned a little closer to me, and I could feel the warmth of his breath. "That's what I wished for. To meet someone I could fall in love with. You're my heart's desire, Liv Silver."
Anyway, I can't say much besides I loved it and it's definitely one of my favourite books of the year so far and I'm looking forward to the next one! 

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment