Thursday 12 May 2016

I'm having my first book hangover, send help | A Court of Mist and Fury

A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas

Published: May 3rd 2016 by Bloomsbury Children's Books
Genre: new adult, fantasy, retelling

Goodreads summary: Feyre is immortal.

After rescuing her lover Tamlin from a wicked Faerie Queen, she returns to the Spring Court possessing the powers of the High Fae. But Feyre cannot forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people - nor the bargain she made with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court.

As Feyre is drawn ever deeper into Rhysand's dark web of politics and passion, war is looming and an evil far greater than any queen threatens to destroy everything Feyre has fought for. She must confront her past, embrace her gifts and decide her fate.

She must surrender her heart to heal a world torn in two.


REVIEW

This is just Sarah J. Maas' best book yet. Now, I just want to reread the four Throne of Glass books. A Court of Mist and Fury is huge and here is the thing: I read it in less than 24 hours. From the moment I opened it, I almost couldn’t do anything else, but read. I stayed up until 2 a.m. -because I needed a steamy scene first- and had to reason with myself, because I needed sleep, but if I had been on holidays, I wouldn’t have slept all night.


A Court of Mist and Fury picked up three months after the ending of the first book and we saw Feyre dealing with PTSD and depression, which was pretty realistic. The book was a little slow in the beginning, I admit it, but it was to show all her character development since Under the Mountain. Because she grew up a lot, her views on the Spring Court and Tamlin were quite different, and actually, I could understand her. She felt like the world was moving too fast around her and that she hadn’t adjusted to it yet. During the whole novel, Feyre also trained because of her new powers and because she needed to make a difference, and I admired her so much.

This second book expanded the world so much. In A Court of Thorns and Roses, Feyre didn’t see much of the world because of the threat and controlling issues of someone *coughs*. Seeing other parts of this world truly showed how Sarah J. Maas excelled at world-building and implied that the issues were so much bigger. The retelling aspect were pretty loose in this one, but I loved the aspect of acceptance, no matter what the other did. When the first book was more romance-driven, the plot took the main stage in this one. I could definitely say that the stakes were so much higher and it showed in all the politics. Some plot twists had me screaming out loud, until finally, I sobbed because of the ending. The third book will totally be intense.


Sarah J. Maas also introduced us to some new and interesting characters. When I wrote my review for the first book, I was saying that Rhysand was the most interesting character, and we finally got his backstory (aka mostly chapter 54 <3), which made everything click into place. Like I said, I found he made questionable decisions in ACOTAR, but it was finally explained… And I think I would have done the same thing that he did. Also, he’s just so sexy, caring and powerful. Just like that, he joined my book boyfriends gang (I need to revise my list btw). We also meet his friends and I loved them so much. They had these family dynamics I love and they were quite sassy and funny. The author took the time to explain each of their backstory, so they felt really fleshed out. Among them, there were some strong and independent women, Maas truly knows how to write this type of characters. I would have liked to see more of Lucien, but we didn’t see Tamlin for 90% of the book so it made sense. But still, I needed Lucien’s sass (also we have a similar name, so there’s that!).

For the romance, my feels are ALL OVER THE PLACE. If you don’t know Sarah J. Maas’ twists on the romance, there will spoilers for that in the next sentences (so skip the next two paragraphs!). But truly, many readers had no doubt on what would happen. At the end of the first book, I was more rooting for Rhysand than Tamlin, but I needed explanations first and they made sense. It also made me respect Rhys even more, because of all he had to endure. Moreover, for her romances, Maas writes characters that already have experiences (thanks God, no innocent maiden here!) and don’t find true love the first time around, and it made sense, because that’s not how it happens in real life. I wouldn’t say there is a love triangle, it’s just that Feyre’s growth made her aware of problematic comportments Tamlin had. She also despised herself at some point, because she was falling for someone else. I truly don’t think Tamlin’s character was destroyed for the romance, I think that Feyre just opened her eyes. Also, I had totally seen the big revelation coming after the first book, but my shipper heart was so happy!


Here, it was a slow-burning romance that made sense, between characters who saw each other as equals. I loved seeing them bickering for so long and there was so much chemistry and sexual tension between them. I was on the edge of my seat because I wanted the steamy scenes to happen so badly and that’s 99% the reason I stayed up until 2 a.m. (I went into bed straight up after) and it was so good. Be warned that it’s more graphic than in the first book though, but I really didn’t mind, considering the characters. Nevertheless, saying “to fuck someone” isn’t sexy Rhys (you still were though, but this phrase is awful).

Overall, A Court of Mist and Fury was much better than the first book. I know that some readers didn’t like that one, mostly because it was so romance-driven, but have no fear, for this one isn’t like that. The plot was way more developed and the characters had a goal. Of course, there was still romance, but this tension will make anyone wanting for it to happen. Maas introduced some amazing characters and I can’t wait to see where their storylines will go. The ending made me cry so much and I just need the third one now, but at the same time, I don’t want to because it will be the end? I don’t know, just read this amazing fantasy novel. 

Other:


Have you read A Court of Mist and Fury yet? Do you love this series? Which one of Sarah's books is your favourite?

2 comments:

  1. I have literally seen nothing but 5 star reviews for this, so I am so glad to hear you loved it too Lucie! I wasn't the biggest fan of A Court of Thorns & Roses so I wasn't planning on reading this originally, but seeing all the glowing reviews makes me want to reconsider that. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, I checked on Goodreads and it has SPECTACULAR ratings right now, it's crazy, everyone loves it! I can totally understand that, when I reread A Court of Thorns and Roses in April, I really enjoyed it, but I didn't understand why I had given it 5 stars the year before... Before I read it, I saw Emily May's review on GR about it and she loved it when she didn't like the first one, so I'm sure you might end up liking it! Well, I hope you do. ;) Thanks Zoe! ♥

      Delete