Thursday 3 September 2015

Queen of Shadows | Book Review

Title: Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4)

Author: Sarah J. Maas

Published: September 1st 2015 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

Goodreads summary: Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past . . .

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die just to see her again. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.

Celaena’s epic journey has captured the hearts and imaginations of millions across the globe. This fourth volume will hold readers rapt as Celaena’s story builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.

REVIEW

I won't tell you that this book was perfect, to be honest, because it wasn't. However, it was fantastic, just like the other instalments in this series, and the plot took a big turn with the end of Queen of Shadows. At the end, a lot of things were resolved, it almost felt like a end... Even if it wasn't. I feel like Sarah J. Maas wanted to give a little rest to her characters, before things get bigger.

Dorian said, "So here we are."
"The end of the road," Aelin said with a half smile.
"No," Chaol said, his own smile faint, tentative. "The beginning of the next."

The plot was fantastic, I don't have anything to say about it, I was just hooked from cover to cover. The characters irritated me at some point in the first chapters (Aelin was acting a little out of character because she was missing someone, like whaaaat?) and I had a feeling Chaol was a little underdeveloped, because there was so many other characters to talk about, but it got better throughout the book. 

There was so much character development in this one, with a lot of secondary characters, I loved them all! I'm so happy how strong and kick-ass the female characters are in these books: Aelin, Manon, Lysandra, Nesryn, Asterin, Elide, you all won me over. I like how everyone has his part to play in this story, even characters that were new in this book but will have a bigger role in the fifth book. 

At first, I wasn't too happy about the romance, that's true. I don't like who Aelin is with right now, I'm totally against it. However, it is just my feelings, it will be up to you to judge. Still, I understand why the author made this choice and I respect it, because it is clever, just not what I wanted. 

"You make me want to live, too, Aelin Galathynius," he said. "Not exist-but live."

The ending was everything a reader could have wanted. So many things are resolved, it just seems like new beginnings. I can't wait to see how the characters will deal with all of that, but it will be really interesting. I won't tell you more, because I don't want to spoil you accidentally. Still, I'm a little disappointed because I expected too much.


What did you think about this book? Are you excited for the next one?
Tell me in the comments, I want to talk about this book so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment