Thursday 24 September 2015

The Iron Daughter | Book Review

Title: The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey #2)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Published: August 1st 2010 by Harlequin Teen

Goodreads summary: Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.


REVIEW

Just like in the first book, I really enjoyed the plot, it was strong, went in his own direction, even if it adds to the bigger picture. Because of the ending, I think the beginning of the first one will be interesting, I'm looking forward to see how the characters move on. But, let's be honest, this book has flaws, that made me cringe.

This book was drama after drama for the characters, and honestly, I didn't sign up for a soap opera. At the beginning of the Iron Daughter, Meghan has to go to the Winter Court, a very dangerous place for her, when you know she has a relationship with Ash, which is forbidden, because she's Summer and he's Winter. So of course, what would you do, if you had a brain, in this situation? You would try to conceal that relationship, right? Well, nope, you're wrong. Meghan isn't able to understand, she complains that Ash didn't say her hello, doesn't want to speak to her and everything. Of course, at the same time, she's in front of a queen who could have her head because Ash is her son, but no, Meghan tries to speak to him. How stupid was it, really.

Moreover, I wasn't happy about the romance, at all. First, Meghan tells Ash she loves him, when she has only known him for weeks. Yes, that's insta-love. BUT, when the difficulties come and Ash has to leave her (for her own safety), what does she do? She goes to Puck, the Jacob or the Gale of that story. The best friend who loves her since the beginning of time, when we know he doesn't stand a chance… So to sum up, things are complicated between Ash and Meghan, so a love triangle would be useless, but well, it is a trend, so why not? Now, don't get me wrong, I like Ash and Puck as characters, I'm just against that love triangle.

Now, the plot was interesting, and there was some magic development around Meghan that made sense. However, I didn't like that a new Iron King was trying again to abduct Meghan, because it felt so repetitive, and apparently, it will happen again in the next book, from what I gathered from the synopsis. Ironhorse's addition to the story was a good idea, though. Moreover, the fact that the bogey was Ethan's friend was really funny.


To sum up, it was a good plot, with new developments of this world, but it wasn't enough. Meghan's character is really similar to Bella Swan and I can't stand that kind of characters. I did when Twilight was released, but not anymore. The love triangle was unnecessary, it's just playing with poor Puck who doesn't stand a chance, you see it at the end of the story. I don't know if I'll finish this series because I'm tired of this drama, but I'd like to read the spin-off series, to see if it improves. Still, I like Julie Kagawa as a writer, I read the Blood of Eden and enjoyed it, the Talon saga came as a surprise, because I love it.


Have you read this book? What did you think of it (especially Meghan, and the love triangle)? Let me know in the comments ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment