Monday 28 September 2015

Is writing multiple series in the same world a good idea? | Book Discussion



Do you remember The Mortal Instruments series, and when Cassandra Clare announced she had A LOT of other books in stock for the Shadowhunter world? Yes, I'm talking about The Infernal Devices (3 books), The Dark Artifices (3 books), The Last Hours (3 books), The Wicked Powers (3 books), to which you'll have to add The Bane Chronicles, Tales of Shadowhunter Academy and a possible graphic novel centred around the Circle.

If her fans were beyond happiness (like I was), Clare received a lot of hate from readers, because they considered she was using the Shadowhunter world like a milk cow, so… Yeah… September 15th, it was announced that Rick Riordan had a new books coming out May 3rd 2016, centred around… Roman demigods. So of course, the discussion starts again, and maybe the drama.

Why writing other books in the same world can be a good thing:
  • There is hope for cameos of our old favourite characters. Remember when we had to say goodbye to Percy and Annabeth after all these years? When I heard about Riordan's new project, I fangirled so much, because I'll probably have Reyna (aka one of my favourite characters) in books as a MC. There will also probably be interaction with the Greek Camp… Or not. But I think Riordan won't let go of Percy that easily.
  • If there are new books, it's probably because it works. Would authors like Cassandra Clare and Rick Riordan write more books about their worlds if they didn't know if the readers would buy it? Of course not. I'm pretty sure their books will go straight to the New York Times Bestselling List, for WEEKS. If those authors are popular, it's because they were able to create rich worlds, with plenty of rooms for other books.


But it can also be a bad thing:
  • At some point, the reader can be tired to see the same old plots (like quests format). If I only had one example to give, it would be Pretty Little Liars, by Sara Shepard. It was supposed to be an eight books series, but there are sixteen books in the series… A little too much, for a lot of people, me included. It was so far-fetched that after discovering who A was (twice, after eight books), there was another one lurking around. Get a life people, are these girls that interesting?
  • There is also the money factor *sighs*. A lot of people said Clare was writing books in the same world, because it was easier money to make. Of course, it will encourage readers to buy, because they know the world. I think it's more of a "safe option" for these authors.
However, I want you to remember:
  • You can't say an author using the same world multiple times is uncreative, because writing books, by definition, is being creative. I think it's as hard to write a book sets in the same world than creating another one, because the author has to find new ideas and not repeating himself.
  • Being an author is a job, so of course you need money from it. If you had an opportunity to earn more money, won't you take it? Think about it for a minute. If you tell me you wouldn't, I'm a little sceptical, because we're humans, never forget that. This job allows them to have a roof, food and money enough not to have to work a part-time job, when a lot of authors have one.

Personally, if it's a book series I loved, I don't mind if the author goes on with this world. I won't ever say no to other books set in Percy's or the Shadowhunter's world, because I love it so much and trust these authors. And anyway, no one forces you to buy more books by these authors, if you choose not to read them, you're free! We all have our opinions on the subject. If I'm ever tired to read about one of the worlds I mention, I will stop to read about it, that's all.

What do you think about it? Let's discuss in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. I guess it depends! For me, if it's a setting and world I love and can't get enough of, of course I'd love more of them! Especially a world that is completely immersive~ Take a look at the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson... one trilogy is centered on one city, another trilogy at the past, and there's another trilogy in the future set i nthe future, and it's going to be interesting because the Mistborn world is so BIG as it is a part of a universe (or cosmere) where it is connected to hte histories of nearby worlds/planets. EPIC, I KNOW.

    However, if it's a world where it doesn't feel like anything new is going to be given, a setting where it feels like we've seen everything, I'd think maybe more than two trilogies in it would be too much, but hey! This is subjective. What may be too much for me would be too little for others ;)

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty happy that Cassandra Clare is writing more series, personally! The way she does it is really great - I don't feel like quests/plots are being repeated, though I dunno, the love triangle thing might be getting a bit old for me...? Anyway yeah she generally puts in tiny clues from one of her series to another one, and its great for a fan!
    I kinda see Rick Riordan's series in a different light - they may be based on similar premises (mythology) but ultimately, I feel like the plot differs, and the characters differ - it's like reading about a whole new universe!
    Great post - definitely something I was thinking about for a while, but didn't quite know how to verbalise! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Clare's books too, but I don't know if I'll follow 'til she finished her Shadowhunter Chronicles, because it might take a while... We'll see how I'll feel about Lady Midnight actually, I think it might change everything. I've been so excited for it for three years, I hope I won't be disappointed.
      I enjoy Riordan's series, but the similarities bothered me in The Sword of Summer! I think it could be different with The Hidden Oracle tho, because Apollo is the main character and he was a god!

      Delete